Thursday, March 8, 2012

A bit of hipster Toronto in Hong Kong

It seemed fitting that the release of "Iron Lady" in Hong Kong coincided with International Women's Day. Even as a lefty and consequently, in disagreement with Margaret Thatcher's political stance and policies, I can't help but admire the fact that she was a strong woman and the head bitch in charge in a world dominated by men.

In any case, off I went to a movie theatre I've always wanted to go to: the Broadway Cinematique in Yau Ma Tei. I stumbled upon it one day while wandering (I'm a hopeless wanderer) and initially, I was attracted by the bookstore. There are a variety of books, mostly in Chinese though there are a few English books here and there. A lot of huge volumes on films are also available and cute little arts and crafts from, I believe, local artists.



When I walked into this building, I also realized that the bookstore was attached to an Indie cafe, complete with the smell of London Fog. Heart. It's like someone took a chunk of my neighbourhood and put it randomly in Yau Ma Tei. Kubrick's is a legit cafe, complete with tables, outlets for your laptop and I'm guessing wifi to go with it.




Already, this place was paradise to me and I thought it couldn't get any better. But it did. Attached to the cafe was a small store with environmentally sustainable and fair trade products. Just like the hippy part of the Danforth in Toronto.





This place was already bursting at the seams with amazingness but it went even further. There was a DVD rental and film store with tons of films (local and foreign), movie soundtracks and posters for sale. It was glorious.





Just when you think that this is all this place had to offer, you look out and see that there's a concession stand and a movie theatre attached to the place! To see the films, you had to go up to the first floor (as opposed to the ground floor) and when you do go up the stairs, you're greeting with these wooden beams that's reminiscent of the interior of the Four Seasons Centre in Toronto.



Seriously, how perfect can this place get?

I highly recommend this place for anyone who's looking for a break from the mad rush of Hong Kong. Here's the address for you to google map:

3 Public Square Street Yau Ma Tei, Hong Kong

Enjoy~!

No comments:

Post a Comment