Saturday, August 6, 2011

Still in love with Causeway Bay (Part II)


So many things happened today that I don't think it's going to fit neatly into one blog post. As a result, I'll be dividing up the epicness that is today into several posts. (Not all of them are about Causeway Bay, by the way.)


So in Part I of "Still in love with Causeway Bay," I mentioned that I went to Times Square. Since there's a Page One in there, I just had to spend some time there. Then again, one of my friends also spent just about forever to find a notebook... In any case, during our visit to the lovely bookstore, I glanced at some guidebooks to Hong Kong and just looked up Causeway Bay to see what else we could do in the area. It turns out that everyday at noon, they fire a gun at Causeway Bay. You can learn about its history and whatnot here. (It's an interesting tale involving opium smugglers - aka Jardine and Matheson.)


Anyways, after being completely underwhelmed by the laser show at Tsim Sha Tsui, my friends and I were expecting something that was not that exciting. There was a crowd of tourists gathered around the gun and we waited a few minutes before the gun was fired. And then... BAM! We did not expect it to be that loud. Most people were prepared and had covered their ears, but because we're just that special, my friends and I got a full blast of sound. My left ear popped a bit and it took about half a minute before I had completely regained my hearing. That was super fun. Afterwards, the guard let us in to take picture with the cannon. It was actually quite a lot of fun!

My adventures on Hong Kong Island continue in my next blog post which I will write after I get some sleep...

No comments:

Post a Comment