Sunday, August 14, 2011

A tropical paradise in a world of skyscrapers


Lamma Island is a small island just off of Hong Kong island. To get there, you just take a ferry from the Central piers and viola! Tropical paradise! Other than the power plant, there aren't very many big buildings and it feels as if you've disappeared off Hong Kong to this quaint little town in the middle of a tropical paradise. I was super super excited when I saw all the fruit on the island...

Papaya!


Bananas!


Longan!


I saw a tree with rotten starfruit beside it as well as a few pomegranate trees.


There was also a lovely beach there. I didn't plan on swimming but I was so occupied with collecting seashells at the edge of the water, I pretty much got drenched. Thank goodness the weather was hot. I got dried off in about 10 minutes.

My friends and I ended up walking the entire island. There was a path you could follow but it went steeply uphill at certain points. All of it was beautiful nonetheless. Here are some of the pictures:







After all that walking, the entire group was ravenous. Luckily, there were tons of restaurants offering seafood feasts. You could also see your dinner before it was cooked!


I also tried mantis prawn for the first time. (Lai new ha.) I was sort of disappointed. The things took too much effort to peel and eat. (These things are also the creepiest looking creatures when they're alive.)


Still, it was a fantastic day at Lamma Island. I'm definitely going back someday! To end, here's a picture of a souvenir island my friend bought on Lamma Island. It has a funny expression on its face.


No comments:

Post a Comment