Friday, August 6, 2010

Being pushed into the water and learning to swim...

I actually explained that expression to Suki yesterday while waiting for the train. (Yes, this post comes a bit late 'cause there was too much fun to be had yesterday...)

Suki and I went to Causeway Bay (yes, again) yesterday because it she apparently, she didn't even go to Causeway Bay the day before and she had no time to get her hair cut. (By the way, we didn't end up meeting up yesterday after my trip to Times Square.) Anyways, the expression was pertinent to the situation because Suki said that I was apparently very savvy as to what to do on the train and what not. Well, let's just say that going to a location that requires 3 line changes during rush hour is like throwing a kid into the water to teach them how to swim. Dithering in Hong Kong is just not done and if you're not alert, you might find yourself lost, trampled or 5 train stops away from your destination.

In any case, I ended up in another do or die situation on my second trip to Causeway Bay... Suki went and got her hair cut and I decided to go and look at a few spots around the area. Victoria was one option but when I went out the train station exit towards Victoria Park, I just saw a huge expanse of shops and thought that it may be best not to go as it may be too far and goodness knows what would happen. In any case, I saw on our little tourist map provided by the school that there was something called "Jardine's Bazaar" nearby. I found this very amusing.

For those of you who don't know, William Jardine and his business partner, James Matheson were merchants who sold Chinese products to England during the Victorian era. They were one of the biggest opium merchants as well. It's just a bit humourous that they would still allow these street names to exist after the Chinese takeover of Hong Kong:


Anyways, on Jardine's Crescent, I found Jardine's bazaar. Now, let's just say that when I went in, I just remembered something Julia said to me. "You have a tendency of going to sketchy places." Well... let's see: dark - check, sketchy - check, in some random alleyway - check, eerily quiet - check. Yup, that was Jardine's bazaar. A claustrophobic market full of "women's crack" (or opium): clothes, jewelry, knick knacks. Like Taiwanese street markets, a lot of the clothes were a bit tacky but some of the jewelry was pretty.


Damn it.I continued wandering around Causeway Bay and window shopped a bit and then... I got lost. It was pretty scary since I was alone and it was getting dark and I was walking around in circles like lost people in movies. Finally, I just had to stop. And think. And use landmarks and gut instincts to get back to the MTR (metro station) safe and sound. I'm proud to say that I did exactly that was successfully got to my destination. It's a miracle!

After that crazy trek, I met up with Suki and we had an AWESOME dinner at the Causeway Bay location of Mak's Noodle. Some of the best wontons and the best "za jeung lo mein" (noodles with sliced pork in a slightly spicy red sauce) I've ever had in my life. Anthony Bourdain ate at the Mak's Noodle in Central, which was why I choose this restaurant for dinner.

Anyways, I need to go soon. More fun stuff to come! (When will I ever have time to do homework!?)

1 comment:

  1. Mac's Noodle is orgasmic. Did you try their prawn roe noodles? SO GOOD.

    Other food recommendations: have some mango-themed desserts at Hui Lau San (dessert chain that's everywhere in HK), egg tarts at Tai Cheong Bakery (another chain), dim sum at Lung King Heen (at HK Four Seasons)and/or T'ang Court (at Langham Place Hotel).

    I am so envious that you are in HK--everytime I go to HK, I gain weight so maybe it's a good thing I'm not there now :)

    If you have time, visit Macau too. Portuguese egg tarts at Lord Stow's!!

    ReplyDelete