Tuesday, August 3, 2010

This is one crazy place...

Orientation. We had a tour of the campus and then our orientation group leader lead us to the closest civilization to CUHK, Shatin. (No, I'm serious, the university is in the bloody middle of nowhere.)

Campus at the Chinese University of Hong Kong is... confusing. It's on a hill and all the roads are curved and there are about a gazillion ways of traveling up and down the hill. Walking anywhere takes you about forever and the 40 degree heat and insane humidity is not your best friend either. On the other hand, the buildings are so air conditioned that you actually need a jacket when you go indoors. At the same time, being on top of a hill has its perks. Like the nice views.
I don't know why there are statues of polar bears here. It's just about one of the least likely places where you'll find a polar bear.

Finally, we went to Shatin's New Town Plaza. This huge ass mall that's connected to another huge ass mall. I had already been there yesterday on my crazy trek to school but you really don't understand how crazy it is until you wander around in there. The mall is a huge labyrinth of stores. If you're looking for one specific thing, you need to know where to go or else you're going to get lost. It took my friend and I about 20 minutes to find a supermarket and even longer than that to find the bank she was looking for.

As for the people in the shopping mall... let's just say that it reminds me of a redux version of Boxing Day at the Eaton Centre. If you took the weekday crowd at Eaton's and add that to the weekend crowd, that's what it's like in the mall we were in and then some. The stores are really nice though. There are tons of designers that you don't find in Canada and I think I'll get a pair of shoes here. Shoe-wise, the styles here in Hong Kong are a vast improvement to those in Taiwan.
In any case, class is starting soon. (I'll blog about that later. Wheee... my first class here!) I'll leave you with this thing that was in the mall in Shatin.

No comments:

Post a Comment