Monday, August 2, 2010

A Hectic Journey

As much as I'm worried about coursework, friend-making and surviving Hong Kong, the trip here was definitely crazier than expected. In fact, it was a lot like third year in general: with tons of ups, downs and surreal situations.

I never really got it through my head that I was heading to a foreign country alone until a day or two before my departure. Panic had started to set in and stress made me snappish. In fact, if it weren't for some comforting words, chats and rendez-vous with friends, I would've gone totally insane before I stepped foot out the door to get to the airport.

Anyways, check-in and whatnot wasn't as stressful as I thought it would be. My mum, of course, wanted to stay with me until the very last minute, but I wanted to go through the gate, get some coffee and some water so I would stay hydrated on the plane and in Hong Kong and so I ended up getting past security with 45 minutes left. I think the fact that I was traveling all alone really hit me when I left my mum at the security gate.After getting some Timmy's, I saw this:

It's a sculpture/installation piece by Richard Serra! I had to watch a video about this guy in art class in high school and I wrote a short report about his work. It was pretty darn cool! When you went into certain parts of the sculpture and made noise, it echoed! In any case, my panic had not quite disappeared but then... my guardian angels appeared!


Yes! Tessa and Scott. I can hear a Russian facepalming herself right now...

Speaking of figure skaters, I also saw a guy who looked like an older and handsomer version of Jeremy Abbott. Although I suspect that he's gay like Jeremy Abbott because he was wayyy too well dressed. I was sorely tempted to go up to him and tell him that I liked his shoes but didn't.

Back on topic... the plane ride went well and so did immigration. The shuttle bus from the airport to Shatin train station was gorgeous. The views were so lovely I forgot to take pictures. All was going well and then... hell struck. That or my directile dysfunction. It took me forever to find the train station once I left the airport shuttle bus and navigating through the busy metro system with a huge ass suitcase was excruciatingly difficult. The weather was hot and humid and by the time I got to my residence, I was a sticky and sweaty camper. Alas, my stickiness was not relieved until after I went on a campus tour, unpacked and ate dinner. Although it sounds like an uneventful day, it was kind of crazy. Orientation is tomorrow and we also visit the town/city (?) of Shatin.

Impressions of campus so far: It's on a hill. And it's big. I'm going to get lost. >_<

I miss home already. I have photos from last year's Sakura picnic on the wall in front of my desk. What I would do to have a few of you to be here with me in Hong Kong.

No comments:

Post a Comment