Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Bursting into fits of giggles...

Today started out badly. I fell asleep yesterday depressed and exhausted after writing an essay on the relationship between transnational corporations and globalization and my huge laptop mishap which still makes me rather depresased. In any case, I woke up, tried to turn on my laptop and lamented as it failed to turn on. In other words, I'll be on my roommate's laptop for a few days and hopefully by the end of the week, Hermes will be healthy and happy again. For now, there won't be too many pictures since it's a bit of a hassle to upload them but I hope that you'll enjoy the blog nonetheless.

So, after waking up depressed and eating barely any breakfast in my depressed state, I went to class dreading further depression. Oddly enough, class was pretty fun today. During our reading, I encountered a word (fa1 hui1) that I didn't understand. All of a sudden, my friend Suki did this waving action and said, "Whoosh!" It was so random, I burst out laughing. It took a good ten minutes to sort out our giggling.

During lunch (we had dim sum with the teacher and Keina, the other girl, who relaxed a bit around us!), we continued our giggling because we went over all the inside jokes that came up in our week so far. These include me calling Suki a Deutch (German) which really isn't all that offensive but apparently I've been saying it wrong (and it sounds horrible) all these years because I pronounce it as "Doitch". Don't ask me what the actual pronounciation is because I've forgotten. Then there was that time when I paused at the wrong time in a sentence and ended up saying "sex industry" instead of what was in the text. (The text was about the WTO.) The whoosh thing came up a few times and I think the teacher much think we're ditzes now.

The giggling continued into dinner time (and dessert!) as we ate it with Victoria. It was funny realizing how all four of us roomies interact with each other considering we use 4 languages at once to communicate. (English, Chinese, Japanese and Korean) I never noticed it because I've grown used to it, but there's a sort of translation circle where someone tells us something in English and then it gets translated into Korean for one roommate, who translates it into Japanese for another. Then all of a sudden, we burst into fits of Chinese, which leads to much laughter. Oh roommates, they're fun...

No comments:

Post a Comment